New Mid Atlantic Flying In Sept

Yes there is 1 additional frequency each in ORF to/from PHL & CLT and it looks like almost all the turboprops are gone except to DCA.

Unfortunately since 2001 Delta added 757s and became the airports #1 carrier in terms of passengers for the first time ever....though US services more destinations nonstop still.

Someone told me that a while back USAir had a club here, oh there's space here for one (hint hint) :lol:

Light Years said:
CLT to Key West. :)
Have they lengthened the runway at EYW or does the EMB-170 have real good short field characteristics? Every commercial jet that I recall there has been severely weight restricted.

I'm not sure, I just know that they will start that route.

November will also see MDA in Toronto, Jacksonville, LGA, Dallas, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Detroit and a few others I cant remember.

LGA...hmm. Im curious to see where MDA will go from there. Im gonna guess expand service to RIC/ORF and possible new serivce to MCI/MKE/YUL and BNA.

AtlanticBeach said:
Have they lengthened the runway at EYW or does the EMB-170 have real good short field characteristics? Every commercial jet that I recall there has been severely weight restricted.
As a matter of fact, the EMB has really good landing lengths, just another competitive advantage over everyone stuck with the CRJ's

Yet, still faster than an Airbus in Cruise, unlike the Bac Jet. Not bad eh...?

Had a real good write up in the recent Airline Pilot Issue, they were impressed by the E-170.

Anyways, it is not the runway in EYW (Key West) that will get u in trouble, it is the real small ramp filled wingtip to wingtip with planes... :unsure:

According to pairings, new flying to be done by Mid Atlantic is as follows beginning in Sept 2004:CLT-RIC/IAH/ORF/BNA.....PHL-CHS/RIC/MHT........PIT-ORF/CMH

BYE BYE RICHMOND! NO MORE MAINLINE??????????

The writing was on the wall for RIC for some time. Maybe that explains why that one male agent on gates (older fella if you ever run into him) is so surly and bitter.

" As a matter of fact, the EMB has really good landing lengths"

But you've got to take off.

According to Embraer's website, the 170 requires 5500+ feet to take off at max landing weight (which leaves 16,000 lb or less for passengers/bags/cargo) and 3800+ feet to take off for a 500 mile flight - both at sea level (no problem) and ISA (problem). EYW - CLT is about 700 miles. EYW's 4800 foot runway sounds like it's gonna be close with full load of passengers and bags.

Where's PerfEng when we need him/her?

Jim

RumorS said:
BYE BYE RICHMOND! NO MORE MAINLINE??????????
Uh I seriously doubt it - I believe that RIC is a great market for US with Capital One HQ there. They buy 1st class seats for folks at a certain level and above.

What's happening in ORF is that the E170 is replacing those odd flights in the middle of the morning & the middle of the afternoon that were previously DASH 8s - mainline has actually increased by 1 flight a day to PHL & CLT in SEPT I believe.

EYW would be a great market from CLT. ASA does it with the CRJ7, I believe my buddy (ASA) told me they go FULL from ATL, however about 40-45 coming out. But that still would be nice. Maybe EMB will be better. Didn't old JET Piedmont fly something big in there years ago?

Anyone think the US Airways will use the EMB170 for Point to Point in Florida and get back what we had. I remember when PDT had the Florida market all the flight were packed on the Dash's down there.

WSurf,

"Didn't old JET Piedmont fly something big in there years ago?"

That was the F-28. Never flew the original "Florida Shuttle" so maybe someone who did can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the EYW service was only to/from MIA. Quite a bit shorter than either ATL or CLT.

As I said above, landing shouldn't be the problem. Coming out will most likely be weight limited, I would think. Your ASA example illustrates that and EYW-CLT is longer than EYW-ATL, meaning more fuel and less revenue.

Jim

Back