Low-timer Looking For Advice From You High-timers

Skidz

Mar 25, 2004
I know you guys probably get asked this question all the time, but here goes:

Us newbies (I've had my licence for almost a year and I'm just about to break 150 hrs) are always caught in the vicious circle of no job = no experience and no experience = no job. How can one break out of this pattern ? I know, I know, I hear it all the time: "don't give up, be persistent. yada yada...". Short of buying hours (which basically comes down to paying to work) or buying a helicopter or share thereof, what other ways are there to build time ?

I hang around the hangar 5 days a week, buy hours when I can afford to, and hope to get scraps when none of the regular pilots or wealthier guys who buy hours aren't available, but that doesn't amount to much. At this rate I'll be ready to retire before I hit 500 hours !

Don't get me wrong, I knew what I was getting into when I decided to become a helicopter driver, and nothing will deter me from reaching that goal (getting to a point where I can make a living from it, that is...). I just thought someone might have some insight or tips to pass on...

Thx guys...

Your post says so much that is good.
Yes, be persistent, keep knocking on doors, and hang in there.
Don't expect a job at this time of year, even high-timers are looking for work now.

If you aren't getting to fly at the hangar you are spending time at, go on a road trip just to meet some guys in the business. The contacts will be useful when the "real" road trip comes up in the spring-time.

Don't buy hours just to build time......a few extra hours won't matter to a potential employer. Spend your money wisely on quality time.......a turbine endorsement, some slinging, recurrency just before a road trip etc.

One year is not long to wait, compared to many guys that were in your position.
The job-search dilemna (and depression) sort the men from the boys (the wanna-bes from the gonna-bes). It will prepare you for some tough situations and decision-making in your future career.

Smile, act professional, and keep at it.
Good luck.

Skidz --------first of all your position is exactly the same as your cousins in the F/W world. Secondly, right from the start now and for the rest of your career, you'll will enounter the expression "in the right place at the right time". This will come into play even once you have found that ideal position you desire and comes into play with check-outs or certain positions or flying area that you desire. Thirdly, the vast majority of positions in F/W and R/W are never advertised and basically are "word of mouth". The most valuable ally that you might have is another friend in the same position as you that had found work and has been there for some time. Companies tend to want to hire those that they know or, barring that, someone that is recommended by one of their employees.

The advice you have already been given may have already been heard by you, but is excellent advice. I'm passing my little "tidbit" on to you as supplement to that information only. In otherwards, there are many things that you will do to acquire that first job, that you will encounter again during your career. The difference is that over time you will acquire a reputation, good or bad, and that will ease or hinder your search for a position. Again, once you have that position, being "in the right place at the right time" will come into play on many, many occasions. This little advice here won't get you a job tomorrow morning, but it can help in the "attitude department" and that department is the one you want to pay special attention to because it will carry you far in this business.

Albert Ross ------- I'll also assume that you got the "imbedded double-meaning" in there and where else it was directed? ;)

i went four years between hour 100 and hour 101... with a wife and two young 'uns to support, i wasn't as mobile as i SHOULD have been... my advice to you is simple...

stay...

...single
...close to helicopters
...optimistic
...determined
...current

and out of jail!

keep yer stick on the ice...

all good advise. if i could just reemphasize: be patient, polite, and persistent. the squeeky wheel often does get the grease but know when to draw the line as to how loudly you squeek. if you keep at it you will get it. chin up, my friend.

Advice?

Sell your car.

Buy a much cheaper, smaller car.

Sell everything you own.

Buy lots of cereal

Place cereal in new small car.

Sell house/TV/XBox/Children.

Live in Car.

And remember, your doing this cause you love it, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

thats my 1.5 cents

tDawe

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys. I appreciate the wisdom, although in all honesty, I didn't hear anything new.

In response to tDawe:

-I ditched the gf when I started training (she said "it's either flying or me", no brainer...;-) and I've steered clear of any commitments with anything that doesn't have a rotor.

-I sold the house

-I sold my truck and bought a Diesel Jetta (55 MPG)

-I've liquidated most of my possessions

-I've "invested" in a couple of endorsements: I trained on HU30, got rated on RH22, RH44 and just finished my 206 rating today. I've got a couple hours to go for my NVFR. I got my PPC last Feb. (needed that so I could "work" and I'm keeping a little money aside to do a little float time and VR/Bambi time in the spring.

need I say more ???

Oh - I moved back in with dad to save on rent (D-OH!)

I guess you could say I'm "committed" (most of my friends actually tell me I should be committed for making the leap...)

I now have more questions:

I'm planning on taking a roadtrip sometime in February. Starting on the East Coast and heading west. I'll be due for my VPC just before I go, so I'll be fresh. What's the best approach ? Should I go with a list of every commercial operator under my arm and cold-call ? Should I spend a few days calling them on the phone to line up "interviews" before I leave ? How much time should I spend "squeeking" at one operator's base before moving on ?

Chief pilots must get harassed by low-timers all the time. How do I get them to even take a glance at my cv and focus on me for a second or two ? (instead of looking more interested at what they're excavating out of their noses, which is pretty much what I've gotten at the two places I've visited here)...

Are there specific areas (especially in AB and BC) where operators are more likely to hire low-timers (even if 90% of the work is ground crew related) ? Should I visit remote bases or concentrate on main operations bases ?

I've heard that operators won't even look at you out west if you don't have a mountain flying course. Looking at the Penticton school's syllabus, 23 hours of 206 time at say, 700$ (I know, I'm dreaming), still works out to over 16k !!!

Well, I'd love to stay and ask 1001 more questions, but I've got a flight at 1130Z, so I'd better hit the sack.

Just keep the advice coming guys !

why wait till february....I landed my first job in Dezember...........the time u spend on the computer u should be on the road.......and yes it is right time right place....so quiet hidding behind the computer and ask old questions.......going to be old answers u get.....give er...... :up:

I don't know the secret on phoning or not before a visit.....this forum is usually split 50/50 on that one.

It's hard to know the magic secret to attracting the Chief Pilot's attention.
Consider that alot of his reaction to you will be about what else is going on in his life..........hopefully the Ops Manager just told him to hire a 100 hour pup.......being in the right place at the right time is HUGE........you may also be knocking on someone's door after he had a fight with his wife. Don't take it personally, smile, say thanks, and move on.

The head office is usually the best place to get hired.
Visiting bases is good (if you have time) just to meet people, maybe you'll get to ride along on a test flight etc., or just have a coffee.
Conversely, they may be too busy to talk to you, so ask if you can come back and chat that evening and help clean the machine etc.,.....you will have to feel-out each situation,...your time may be better spent by moving on.
A good impression with a base pilot can be passed on by him to his boss.
Try to remember everyone's name, then write them down once you are back in your Jetta, as you will bump into these people sooner or later in this business again.

The mountain course and low visibility training is useful, but you usually need 500 hours before you are Certified to use the training. I suggest getting a few hours (5-10) of mountain time at one school or another (on a 206) out in B.C. if you can afford it.

At this stage you have more questions than we have solid answers.....alot of your success will depend on your ability to read and react to situations as they arise......it's just like flying !!

Hey Skidz

Here is a list of operators compiled by Pitchlink about a month ago on an earlier thread. You will notice that there are several company names on here other than thoes found in the Helicopters Mag. directory. Some of them are schools, others exclusively leasing companies, etc., but if you do your homework you may find a couple of possibilities.

Good luck out there, it's a tough go but all worth it in the end.

TB

ABERDEEN HELICOPTERS LTD.
ADVANTAGE HELICOPTERS INC.
AGROTORS, INC.
AIRSPAN HELICOPTERS LTD.
ALPEN HELICOPTERS LTD.
ALPINE HELICOPTERS LTD.
ALTOFT HELICOPTER SERVICES LTD.
AND TEMSCO HELICOPTERS
ARDUINI HELICOPTERS LTD.
ARROW LAKES HELICOPTERS LTD.
Aurora Helicopters Ltd.
BAILEY HELICOPTERS LTD.
BAJO REEF HELICOPTERS LTD.
BASE HELICOPTERS LTD.
BIGHORN HELICOPTERS INC.
BISCAYNE HELICOPTERS, INC.
Black Swan Helicopters Ltd.
BLACK TUSK HELICOPTER INC.
BLACKCOMB HELICOPTERS LTD.
BLACKSTONE ROTORCRAFT, INC.
BRITISH COLUMBIA HELICOPTERS LTD.
BUSINESS HELICOPTERS
CALEDON HELICOPTERS LIMITED
CAMPBELL HELICOPTERS LTD.
CANADIAN AIR-CRANE LTD.
CANADIAN HELICOPTERS LIMITED
CAPITAL HELICOPTERS (1995) INC.
CARIBOO-CHILCOTIN HELICOPTERS LTD.
Central Helicopters Inc.
CHC HELICOPTERS INTERNATIONAL
CHC HELICOPTERS INTERNATIONAL INC.
CHINOOK HELICOPTERS (1982) LTD.
CLASSIC HELICOPTER CORPORATION
COASTAL HELICOPTERS, INC.
CONSTRUCTION HELICOPTERS, INC.
COUGAR HELICOPTERS INC.
COULSON AIRCRANE LTD.
CUSTOM HELICOPTERS LTD.
D.K. HELI-CROPPER INT'L. LTD.
DAY & JOHNSTON HELICOPTERS LTD.
DELTA HELICOPTERS LTD.
DELTA HELICOPTERS LTD.
DENENDEH HELICOPTERS LTD.
DISCOVERY HELICOPTERS LTD.
E & B HELICOPTERS LTD.
EAGLE HELICOPTERS, INC.
ECLIPSE HELICOPTERS LTD.
ERA HELICOPTERS
ERICKSON AIR-CRANE INCORPORATED
ESSOR HELICOPTERES INC.
EVERGREEN HELICOPTERS OF ALASKA, INC.
EXPEDITION HELICOPTERS INC.
FAR WEST HELICOPTERS LTD.
FIREWEED HELICOPTERS LTD.
FOREST HELICOPTERS INC.
GATEWAY HELICOPTERS LTD.
GEMINI HELICOPTERS INC.
Glacier Helicopters Ltd.
GOLDWING HELICOPTERS
Great Lakes Helicopter Corp.
GREAT SLAVE HELICOPTERS LTD.
GUARDIAN HELICOPTERS INC.
HAYES HELICOPTER SERVICES LIMITED
HELI DYNAMICS LTD.
HELI/EXPRESS INC.
HELIBEC INC.
HELICO SERVICE INC.
HELICOPTER CAPTURE SERVICES
HELICOPTER CONSULTANTS, INC.
HELICOPTER TRAINING CORPORATION
Helicopter Transport Services (Canada) Inc.
HELICOPTER TRANSPORT SERVICES, INC.
HELICOPTERES TRANSIT LTEE
HELICOPTERS BY OZ, INC.
HELICOPTERS CANADA FLIGHT TRAINING SCHOOL AND CHARTER
HELICOPTERS, INC.
HELI-EXCEL INC.
HELIFOR INDUSTRIES LIMITED
HELI-INTER INC
HELI-JET CORPORATION
HELIJET INTERNATIONAL INC.
HELI-LIFT INTERNATIONAL INC.
HELI-MAX LIMITED/HELI-MAX LIMITEE
HELIQWEST AVIATION INC.
HELIQWEST INTERNATIONAL, INC.
HELI-SKILLS L.L.C.
HELI-STAR INC.
HELI-TRANSPORT INC.
HELI-UNGAVA (1997) INC
HELI-WASK
HIGH TERRAIN HELICOPTERS LTD.
HIGHLAND HELICOPTERS LTD.
HI-WOOD HELICOPTERS LTD.
HUDSON BAY HELICOPTERS LTD.
HY-RIDGE HELICOPTERS LTD.
INTERIOR HELICOPTERS LTD.
KANANASKIS MOUNTAIN HELICOPTERS LTD.
KEYSTONE HELICOPTER CORPORATION
KLUANE HELICOPTERS
KOKANEE HELICOPTERS INC.
LES HELICOPTERES ABITIBI LTEE / ABITIBI HELICOPTERS LTD.
LES HELICOPTERES WHAPCHIWEM LIMITEE
MACKENZIE HELI SERVICES LTD.
MARLIN HELICOPTERS INC.
MCMAHON HELICOPTER SERVICES, INC.
MILLENNIA HELICOPTERS LTD.
MOUNTAIN VIEW HELICOPTERS
Mustang Helicopters Inc.
NATIONAL HELICOPTERS INC.
NEW HAMPSHIRE HELICOPTERS, INC.
NEWFOUNDLAND HELICOPTERS LIMITED
NIAGARA HELICOPTERS LIMITED
NORTH CENTRAL HELICOPTERS LTD.
NORTHERN AIR SUPPORT LTD.
NUNASI HELICOPTERS INC.
NUNAVIK ROTORS INC.
OCEANVIEW HELICOPTERS LTD.
OMNIFLIGHT HELICOPTERS, INC.
OSIMAS HELICOPTERS LTD.
PACIFIC WESTERN HELICOPTERS LTD.
PANORAMA HELICOPTERS LTD.
PANTHER HELICOPTERS LTD.
PARK CITY HELICOPTERS
PATHFINDER HELICOPTERS, INC
PEMBERTON HELICOPTERS INC.
PEREGRINE HELICOPTERS
PHOENIX HELI-FLIGHT INC.
PINE TREE HELICOPTERS LTD.
PIONEER HELICOPTERS, INC.
PRAIRIE HELICOPTERS INC.
PRECISION HELICOPTERS INC.
PRISM HELICOPTERS INC.
PRISM HELICOPTERS LTD.
PROVINCIAL HELICOPTERS LTD.
PULSAR HELICOPTERS, INC.
QUANTUM HELICOPTERS LTD.
QUEBEC HELICOPTERES INC./
QUEBEC HELICOPTERS INC.
QUESTRAL HELICOPTERS LTD.
QWEST HELICOPTERS INC.
Rangeland Helicopters Inc.
REMOTE HELICOPTERS (NWT) LTD.
RESOURCE HELICOPTERS LTD.
ROTORS NUNAVIK INC.
ROTORWORKS INC.
SAHTU HELICOPTERS
SELKIRK MOUNTAIN HELICOPTERS LTD.
SHARKEY'S HELICOPTERS, INC.
SILVER HELICOPTERS LTD.
SILVERLINE HELICOPTERS INC.
SKYLINE HELICOPTERS LTD.
SKYWAY HELICOPTERS INC.
SLAVE LAKE HELICOPTERS LTD.
SOUTH COAST HELICOPTERS, INC.
STANDARD AG. HELICOPTER INC.
STAR HELICOPTERS LTD.
STARS AVIATION CANADA INC.
SUNWEST HELICOPTERS LTD.
SUPERIOR HELICOPTERS CANADA INC.
SWISS HELICOPTER LTD.
TAIGA HELICOPTERS (1993) LTD.
TALON HELICOPTERS LTD.
TASMAN HELICOPTERS LTD.
TECH HELICOPTERS LTD.
TEMSCO HELICOPTERS, INC.
TERRAQUEST LTD.
THE HELICOPTER COMPANY INC.
THEBACHA HELICOPTERS LTD.
THUNDERBIRD HELILOG LTD.
TIMBERLAND HELICOPTERS INC.
TRANSWEST HELICOPTERS LTD.
TUNDRA HELICOPTERS LTD.
ULTRA HELICOPTERS LTD.
UNITED HELICOPTERS LTD.
UNIVERSAL HELICOPTERS NEWFOUNDLAND LIMITED
VALHALLA HELICOPTERS INC.
VALLEY HELICOPTERS LTD.
VANCOUVER ISLAND HELICOPTERS LTD.
VELOCITY HELICOPTERS INC.
VENTURE HELICOPTERS LTD.
VERSATILE HELIC0PTERS, L.L.C.
VERSATILE HELICOPTERS LTD.
VIH LOGGING LTD.
WEST COAST HELICOPTERS MAINTENANCE AND CONTRACTING LTD.
WESTERN AERIAL APPLICATIONS LTD.
WESTERN SLOPE HELICOPTERS, INC.
WESTLAND HELICOPTERS INC.
WHAPCHIWEM HELICOPTERS LIMITED
WHITE RIVER HELICOPTERS INC.
WILD WATER HELI-FISHING LTD.
WILDCAT HELICOPTERS INC.
WILDERNESS HELICOPTERS LTD.
Wood Buffalo Helicopters
WORLDWIND HELICOPTERS, INC.
YELLOWHEAD HELICOPTERS LTD.
YUKON HELICOPTERS LTD.
ZIMMER AIR SERVICES INC.

I feel motivated to reply for a change as your post made me remember just how I felt a few years ago. I don't have a lot to add to the excellent advice above, and I know that you are looking for concrete advice and a solution to your problem. However I really believe that there is a job out there with your name on it, if you are prepared to do everything possible to find it. Attitude counts for everything, be keen, be polite, be professional, be persistent but don't be annoying. Some operators simply cannot hire you, they would like to but they can't, so concentrate on the ones who do hire lowtimers. The 214 operators out West, the sprayers, the piston outfits, all hire guys just like you, network with lowtime pilots, find out where they got hired, maybe the ramp at helijet ( a great outfit), there are lots of opportunities. Above all, don't get bitter and twisted about not getting a job, sure its a great life and you've made a huge investment, but remember lots of other "cool" professions are even harder to break into. Keep on calling, mailing and driving and, above all keep your sense of humour, the best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice folks ! I guess I've got my homework cut out for me...

Back