How Are Things In Philadelphia

Heard a rumor that no local people were hired for the SWA operation. guess they don't want that "philly factor" element in there. probably a good move.

As to Ground Operations; internal transferring employees MUST be accomodated; before allowing new employees from without WN to be hired. I do know FOR A FACT; that former US and US subsidiary FAs have been interviewed and chosen for employment. Of course, they would still have to pass the drug test and background employment check! ;)

I don't think there is a bias for or against them; but, there still has to be available employment slots open to accomodate successful applicants. Since they would know the best eats/hangouts; I'm all for getting some good folks onboard!

ITRADE said:
Weren't the awful delays and turn issues the primary reason why Southwest decided to throw in the towel at SFO?
Maybe they played a part. IMHO though, I think that the proximity of OAK to SFO helped make that decision a lot easier.

I am sure SWA is also taking the same hit on delays as US Airways when ATC and weather come into play. It can make very ugly. Even a sunny day in PHL can cause ATC flow delays. This is known as the Philly factor B)

Yup. Been there, seen that.

"Southwest 1417, Turn Left on Echo, Right on Echo Two, Cross Three-Five, Continue to Delta Two, Right on Delta, Cross Runway Two-Six, Left on Hotel, Right on Kilo, Left on Delta, and hold short of Two-Seven Right. Call us back, and we'll get you down Sierra to Two-Seven Left somehow....About Thirty minutes."

Well, if you want a rundown of today's flights, here ya go (as of 4:45 pm EST)

MDW (3 daily flights): 1:05 late; 0:41 late; 0:47 late (sked dep.)
LAS (1 daily flight): on-time (sked dep.)
MCO (3 daily flights): 0:10 early; 0:18 late; 1:08 late (sked dep.)
PHX (1 daily flight): 1:10 late
PVD (5 daily flights): 0:28 late; 0:47 late; 0:03 early 1:10 late (sked dep.); 0:41 late (sked dep.)
TPA (1 daily flight): 0:02 early

Yes, gotta love PHL!!!

As of right now in Philly...........

Due to WEATHER, TSTMS ENRTE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 54 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

skyflyr69 said:
Heard a rumor that no local people were hired for the SWA operation. guess they don't want that "philly factor" element in there. probably a good move. :up:
Same thing happened 10 years ago in Baltimore. Once the gyspies left for a new station to conquer we started getting locals in. Now there's close to 700 ramp/ops here now in BWI. With what I hear about the growth in PHL it probably will mirror BWI growth, so there will be jobs for whoever wants to work for us in the next couple of years.

wnbubbleboy said:
Same thing happened 10 years ago in Baltimore. Once the gyspies left for a new station to conquer we started getting locals in. Now there's close to 700 ramp/ops here now in BWI. With what I hear about the growth in PHL it probably will mirror BWI growth, so there will be jobs for whoever wants to work for us in the next couple of years.
talking to one of the SWA flight attendants this week she says PHL, in 2 years, will be bigger than BWI with caribbean flying and an int'l codeshare with a foreign carrier. British Air??

Some of you are acting as if the delays at PHL are coming as a complete surprise to SWA. SWA management was well aware of the delays associated with operating in/out of PHL. They don't like it but the market there is too good to ignore just because of the ATC problems and they are willing to take the hit -- it's just a cost of doing business there. Also, it's not like the people who fly in and out of PHL are shocked or surprised at the delays and consider it something unusual. As one guy said, "If I get same day service into PHL, I'm happy". It will be interesting to see if things get better with U going to a rolling hub type of thing or downsizing there.

This is all well and good that WN wants to have the size operation in PHL as they have in BWI but I really don't see it happening. I'm a gold with the Star Alliance, Northwest FF and a Aer Lingus FF. PHL is just a mess on a good day. WN pulled out of SFO and DEN because of ATC, not to mention the fact that PHL's runways don't exactly help the traffic flow there. I have been following the industry for 27 years. I don't like to see any airline fail. There are alot of great airlines gone, EA, BN, PA just to mention a few. I just don't see US going out of business because that could allow B6 to come into PHL and that wouldn't be good for WN. I think US will get it together and be around for a while. All WN has done is to stimulate traffic just as PeopleExpress did when they started flying into upstate NY. There is always enought traffic to go around when the fares are lowered. As for WN hiring local people they had to bring most of the people in from outside from what I have heard from a friend who works in BWI for WN. They couldn't find the type of people they were looking for in the local PHL area. Good luck in PHL WN I think you will need it with the ATC problems, Which is the REAL PROBLEM.

As to why WN did not fill the station with local folks from PHL.....

Right after Sept 11th.......Southwest hired a bunch of ground ops folks so that flying them would not become more of a headache than it is worth.

When you fly umpteen passengers on 250-500 mile stage lengths, painful airport experiences tend to put them behind the wheel of their automobiles and on down the road. If it takes 3 hrs to negotiate the airport, you just don't save any time by flying.

Technology, the TSA figuring out what they are doing, and experience came to the rescue. At home or kiosk check in and a host of other factors all combined to speed the check up process and voila'....you can get dropped off at the curbside at Dallas Love Field and be at your gate with an A, B, or C boarding pass darned near as fast as you could on Sept 10th 2001.

Thus rendering a lot of those ground ops folks redundant.

Now, we know what Southwest believes when it comes to employees...they are not disposable things you toss in the garbage can when they seem to have outlives their usefulness.

Sooooooooo.....you open a new station and redistribute your folks and everyone is happy. Except for the folks in the new city who might have wanted a job. Not to worry.

Sooner or later station growth and corporate growth will catch up with us and the folks in PHL who really want to work at WN will be able to. It's a waiting game. Not the ideal situation but in many respects better than working for someone who hires and furloughs and lays off based upon the mood they are in.

I'll apologize in advance if this makes sense, but it is what happens.

Bumping this up to see how things are 6 weeks in. Some pretty crappy evening weather last week had the whole East coast in shambles. How'd SW fare at PHL?

Back