Hnl is gone, how long until Gig gets the axe?

Lloyds5

Mar 1, 2010
I know all the Charlotte Boosterd on here will blast me .but how long until US pulls the plug on Gig, loads on average continue to be in the 35% range with many economy as well as envoy E Savers- so the yields are trashed.. This one is a loser. I wonder if they will sustain this flight until they find out if the Delta Slot Swap is approved then move the flight to GRU- with these results I dont think they will continue with GIG. On a separate note Delta applied for DTW- GRU a very northern location, might US consider Philadelphia for the GRU service versus their stated intention of Charlotte?

I know all the Charlotte Boosterd on here will blast me .but how long until US pulls the plug on Gig, loads on average continue to be in the 35% range with many economy as well as envoy E Savers- so the yields are trashed.. This one is a loser. I wonder if they will sustain this flight until they find out if the Delta Slot Swap is approved then move the flight to GRU- with these results I dont think they will continue with GIG. On a separate note Delta applied for DTW- GRU a very northern location, might US consider Philadelphia for the GRU service versus their stated intention of Charlotte?

I think Delta is intending on connecting their asian operation to GRU via DTW. PHL would not do any better than CLT. I think it would be a while before Gig would get the axe. Let's see what happens after TAM becomes part of Star.

May I ask your source of the 35% average load factor?

The problem with PHL-GRU could be that it would need 2 airplanes if it were scheduled like CLT-GIG. That takes 2 A330's away from other service. By flying GIG and GRU from CLT they might could get by with 3 767's depending on the schedules.

Jim

I'll take a less than full GIG flight than a full HNL flight. Yields on a long, thin flight to HNL full of FF pax is not that great.

There is no need for a non stop to Hawaii from the east coast, its been tried and dropped by lots of carriers.

Question for any CLT folks that work the gates, if I show up to non-rev the flight and present my Ireland-EU passport to catch the flight, can I return on my US passport? Not too keen on spending $130 for the right to land in Brazil for a 3 day trip.

Thanks.

Speaking of Hawaii services, you may have also read that CO is dumping their SNA-HNL and SNA-OGG flights and DL is also suspending SAN-HNL and PDX-HNL ...hmmmm I wonder why? I would imagine the recent fuel spike might have alot to do with these decisions, much less marginal yields.

There is no need for a non stop to Hawaii from the east coast, its been tried and dropped by lots of carriers.
CO has been running EWR-HNL for around 10 years now and shows no signs of stopping. Who besides them has tried (and dropped) in the last 20?

CO has been running EWR-HNL for around 10 years now and shows no signs of stopping. Who besides them has tried (and dropped) in the last 20?

Ah, you are right about CO, they have lots of connections from CO on CO Mike. I remember ATA doing JFK-HNL, and I think AA did nonstops once but got out of it quickly.

Ah, you are right about CO, they have lots of connections from CO on CO Mike. I remember ATA doing JFK-HNL, and I think AA did nonstops once but got out of it quickly.
I don't think ATA ever flew JFK - HNL. They didn't have an aircraft to do that. According to the Wikipedia page, they had some L1011's and DC10's, but they were for military charters.

I've done some quick research to find that, perhaps, UA flew it with DC8's in the 60's-70's, AA flew it with 707's in the 70's and CO flew it with a DC 10 in the mid 80's. I can't verify any of that, though, but I'm sure others here can.

I'll take a less than full GIG flight than a full HNL flight. Yields on a long, thin flight to HNL full of FF pax is not that great.

Question for any CLT folks that work the gates, if I show up to non-rev the flight and present my Ireland-EU passport to catch the flight, can I return on my US passport? Not too keen on spending $130 for the right to land in Brazil for a 3 day trip.

Thanks.

I don't think ATA ever flew JFK - HNL. They didn't have an aircraft to do that. According to the Wikipedia page, they had some L1011's and DC10's, but they were for military charters.

I've done some quick research to find that, perhaps, UA flew it with DC8's in the 60's-70's, AA flew it with 707's in the 70's and CO flew it with a DC 10 in the mid 80's. I can't verify any of that, though, but I'm sure others here can.

I thought they ran something east cost to HNL, maybe its just an off memory in my mind... :)

Thanks.

AFAIK, if you have dual citizenship, you must enter the US with a US passport.

Yes, but can I leave and enter US with US passport but enter and leave Brazil with my EU passport?

Yes, you can. I know some Polish friends who entered Brazil on their Polish passports and re-entered the US on their American passports no questions asked. When I go to Brazil, I plan on doing the same. Will do so to save on the visa fee, since Brazil doesn't charge Polish citizens a visa fee, which is I think around $135 per person if I enter with my US passport.

-Kinglobjaw

Latest posts

Back