Hard Times

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
A Mother Offers Herself as Exhibit A on Hard Times

Published: October 23, 2004

MILWAUKEE, Wis., Oct. 22 - She is popping up in nearly every one of John Kerry's speeches now: Lori Sheldon, the Pennsylvania mother who tearfully told Mr. Kerry last month that she was "tired of saying no" to two daughters.

"People ask me for my autograph," Ms. Sheldon said in an interview as she helped her 11-year-old, Katie, with her math homework.

On Saturday, Mr. Kerry will tell her story again in his radio address to the nation. What he does not know, Ms. Sheldon said, is that her tale of economic hardship has taken a turn for the worse.

Ms. Sheldon took her husband, John, a ground crewman at the Pittsburgh airport, and their two daughters to a Kerry front-porch event on Labor Day near their home in Canonsburg, Pa. When she heard him describe the effects on families of lost jobs and rising costs, Ms. Sheldon rose from her seat.

"You just told our story," she said, pointing to her 11- and 16-year-old girls. "I'm tired of saying no to them. We say no all the time."

Her poignant testimony instantly won Ms. Sheldon an exalted place in the pantheon of down-on-their-luck folks Mr. Kerry uses - at times without their knowledge - to give his speeches a human face, and to paint a picture of an America where jobs are drying up, the sick and frail cannot afford treatment and drugs, and a tank of gasoline is so expensive that relatives are visiting each other less often.

At the Labor Day event, Ms. Sheldon, 45, said she feared that her husband would lose his job at US Airways because of the demise of the airline's Pittsburgh hub. Two weeks later, she said, he got his pink slip. His last day will be Nov. 7.

Mr. Sheldon, 44, had worked for the airline for 21 years. "I said to him the other day, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' " his wife said. "I told the kids, Don't worry, Dad's not going to let us starve."

That kind of attitude, though, can give way to more unpleasant feelings, she said. Ms. Sheldon works at a small business and counted on her husband's job to provide the benefits. She said she had recently asked her boss for health insurance, which no employee now gets. "I feel like I'm begging for something," she said.

Ms. Sheldon has laid down the law about Christmas already - no presents for adults - but, she said, she is still having to say no to her girls. "This is Halloween, and they like to go to haunted houses," she said, but each one costs $12 or more. "They just went this weekend, and were already talking about another one," she said. "I'm like, 'You had your thrill. Once was enough.' "

But what she has learned from her "15 minutes," she said, is that she is not alone - and so Ms. Sheldon does not object when she learns that Mr. Kerry has used her name yet again.

"I'm not embarrassed, I'm frustrated," she said. "It's a bad situation, don't you think?"

SKY HIGH said:
A Mother Offers Herself as Exhibit A on Hard Times

. "It's a bad situation, don't you think?"
[post="194055"][/post]​

Does she and her husband have their health? Raising children takes a little cranial action so that aspect is taken care of, now it’s time to use these attributes and seek other avenues after some schooling and move on and away from the heart aches. Kerry sure as hell isn't going to save them, but he alone will benefit using their plight for his campaign and then will forget they even breathe.

:up:
PineyBob said:
Well said,

John Kerry was not nearly so concerned about the plight of US Airways Employees during the failed Merger. We've seen the evidence posted here before.

I also note that Mr. Kerry's "Philanthropist" wife was not forthcoming with a check.

This is typical of the whore politics of the Republicrats. This poor woman and her family thrust into the media limelight for the sole purpose of helping a politician with dubious character get elected while she stands in line for government cheese.

Hey Theresa Heinz-Kerry since you forgot if Laura Bush held a real job I'm sure you've already forgotten this family's name too. Charity begins at home MS Kerry, You married your millions from a PA family and since that family has been so generous to you perhsps you could let some of the moths out of your wallet and hand another PA family a few bucks as opposed to exploiting them for personal gain.

What people like Johns Kerry and GW Bush do is far worse IMO than anything US Airways has done to labor.. At least you know where US is coming from. They don't try to sugar coat or hide stuff.
[post="194075"][/post]​
:up: :up: :up:

The Heinz Endowments comprise two private foundations, the Howard Heinz Endowment and the Vira I. Heinz Endowment. Our shared mission is to help southwestern Pennsylvania thrive as a whole community—economically, ecologically, educationally, and culturally—while advancing the state of knowledge and practice in the fields in which we work. Among the largest independent philanthropic organizations in the country, The Heinz Endowments approved over $54 million in grants to nonprofit organizations in 2003.

Hienz Foundation

Did the Bush Familty contribute $54 Million?

700UW said:
The Heinz Endowments comprise two private foundations, the Howard Heinz Endowment and the Vira I. Heinz Endowment. Our shared mission is to help southwestern Pennsylvania thrive as a whole community—economically, ecologically, educationally, and culturally—while advancing the state of knowledge and practice in the fields in which we work. Among the largest independent philanthropic organizations in the country, The Heinz Endowments approved over $54 million in grants to nonprofit organizations in 2003.

Hienz Foundation

Did the Bush Familty contribute $54 Million?
[post="194082"][/post]​

Did the Kerrys put their stamp of approval on abortion?

Did Bush pull a Kerry? With his failed attempt to pull a fast one with a BS hero status, does Kerry belong to Skull & Bones?

Can either Bush or Kerry connect with people who need to budget their money to survive or know what getting dirty means or does Kerry always wear a Carhart coat and asking if I can "get me a hunting license"

Kerry is about as much presidential material as you are union head when your real self is [edited by moderator].

Democrats pushed NAFTA thru and outsourcing is now the accepted corporate American practice, but you still blindly and very foolishly vote for the very people who are screwing you while shaking your hand at the voting box....You will make a perfect union leader.

700UW,

I don't often take issue with you, but how much money did Theresa and John put into the Heinz Foundation?

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
700UW,

I don't often take issue with you, but how much money did Theresa and John put into the Heinz Foundation?

Jim
[post="194090"][/post]​
Those two can buy and sell the entire Bush clan, FACT, and they portray themselves as one of the common people, give me a friggen break and God help the people who they play as buffoons.

While this started on the US board about US families, its morphed into another political thread and is being moved to Just Conversation.

As much as I hate NAFTA, I would just like to point out that there was nothing stoping jobs from going to mexico before NAFTA.I would also like to point out that it was a "bipartisan" effort, so both parties shafted us on that one.

cavalier said:
Does she and her husband have their health? Raising children takes a little cranial action so that aspect is taken care of, now it’s time to use these attributes and seek other avenues after some schooling and move on and away from the heart aches. Kerry sure as hell isn't going to save them, but he alone will benefit using their plight for his campaign and then will forget they even breathe.
[post="194066"][/post]​
No politician is going to save us and no politician truly cares. The only thing they care about is campaign contributions and votes. So we have to use our heads and vote in a manner that best serves our families and communities. In this case, I'm voting for Kerry.
I live in PIT and with US going out, our economy needs a shot in the arm.
When slick Willy took office, the economy in Little Rock went through the roof.
Do I think he can do all that he claims he will do? Hell no! Do I think Bush will do all that he claims he will do? No again!
But when I ask myself if I'm better off than I was 4 years ago, the answer is a resounding NO.
Fortunately, our country provides us with a system of checks and balances. Bush need to be checked.

cavalier said:
Those two can buy and sell the entire Bush clan, FACT, and they portray themselves as one of the common people, give me a friggen break and God help the people who they play as buffoons.
[post="194092"][/post]​

Yeah...but then again, Bush (and the Bush clan are no pikers) goes to a swing state of Missouri and gives a speech where he drops every "g" in words ending with "ing" so that he can sound like "just folks". "Doc's ain't practicin any more" "The men and women fightin over in Iraq". The guy tries to sound like Jethro Bodine - and insults an entire states intelligence. God help the buffons Bush is playing for people.

sentrido said:
As much as I hate NAFTA, I would just like to point out that there was nothing stoping jobs from going to mexico before NAFTA.I would also like to point out that it was a "bipartisan" effort, so both parties shafted us on that one.
[post="194125"][/post]​

We the consumers of this country are the ones who really vote on this issue every day. If we look for American-made products, and are willing to pay a premium for them, the country will benefit with lower unemployment and a stronger economy. Sometimes it is hard to seek out American-made products, but in many cases there are choices. The question is whether it's better to save a few cents or a few dollars with cheap imports or pay a little more so that our friends and neighbors have decent jobs.

And THK is NO FIRST LADY MATERIAL>>

SHe needs to LEARN AND UNDERSTAND to keep her big UGLY mouth shut...

She's has alot of miles on her ,just closely look at her..

Is there a MUCH needed PLASTIC surgeon in the house?

Back