Devine Engine,tex User Comments

M

mark dymond

Devine Engine and Airframe (DBA Devine Engines, Aircraft Refinishers of So Texas) recently did an extensive engine overhaul and interior upgrade on my Piper Arrow. Among the problems I have had:

1. My oil pressure switch was broken while in their shop, and they replaced it with a set screw. I had to pay $35. for a new one, have asked for reimbursement, but nothing.

2. The timing was set so far off, that my EGTs ran 200-250 hotter than normal. To have it rectified, I paid a competent shop $400. Devine did reimburse me half. But the belly was badly stained from the hot exhaust, and it may even caused cowl warping.

3. On their interior proposal/work order, they agreed to reupholster and install all new foam in my seats. They did recover them, and just glued the new material over the frames, but the foam (which was automotive grade) was never changed. I asked Bruce, the owner, why it wasnt done, he stated "they didnt need it". This was a comfort issue as well as a safety issue. He also refused to make any $$ adjustments for the lack of work. To rectify will cost $1250.00

4. A new exhaust sys was installed, so the individual exhaust probes had to be re-drilled in each exhaust pipe. They are supposed to be drilled between 2-4" down from the flange. Three are at 1.85", and the other is at 1.75", BUT, it almost touches the spark plug on the #1 cyl! Consequently, in order to change the plug on the #1 cylinder, the probe has to be removed, which necessitates removing the lower cowl! Now, a 2 minute plug swap becomes a 1 hr job for two people. To repair properly: $450.

5. The alternator was reinstalled improperly, and nearly came off. The bolts were loose, one retention nut had come off, and they werent even safety wired. The holes in the bracket and alternator were very enlarged and far out of round. Had to get all new hardware and replace the alternator. Cost over $1000.

6. On each pushrod, there is supposed to be an aluminum retention band over the seals, to prevent the seals from bulging and leaking. They omitted these rings. To buy them, the associated gaskets and seals, plus labor, will run around $450.

All in all, there are nearly $3000 worth of repairs that need to be made. I have written Bruce McWhorter (5) letters complete with pictures, but as yet, have not even received the courtesy of a reply. There is supposed to be a (3) yr warranty on his work, but apparently that is just a sales gimick. Next step will be formal complaints with the FAA for the safety related issues, and with the Texas Consumer Affairs, and the BBB for the other issues.

In closing, I would strongly advise all to reconsider doing business with the Devine Air Group!

My email is [email protected], and I would be happy to show picts/work orders, etc to any interested parties.

Back