AA Loses sick time case.

“American does not retaliate against employees and strictly adheres to the whistleblower laws," said Tami McLallen, a spokeswoman.

She must work for a different American Airlines than the rest of us. I was at the Dr. today about a sprained thumb. I have to provide medical documentation because I called in during a "critical" period or it counts as two occurrences. Of course, the safety issue that I could not make a fist with my right hand and therefore unable to operate the door handle in an emergency is of no matter.

.....And if you sprained your thumb......while at work Jim,.......................can I "lay my life on the line".....that you filled out, ...and....retained...Your copy of the...Accident Report ???

(HDQ.............HATES to be...."outpaperwork('d) " :rant: :rant:

No. It didn't happen at work, and I'm not one of those people who can say it did because that way they can claim an IOD. I'm ashamed to say that I actually thought about it, but I just can't do it.

No. It didn't happen at work, and I'm not one of those people who can say it did because that way they can claim an IOD. I'm ashamed to say that I actually thought about it, but I just can't do it.

NO, I was being serious, meaning ...."if" it was, that I would hope that you covered your butt...."paperwise".
I was NOT advocating ..."hanky panky", or hanky "pinky"...Err.."thumb".....OH FORGET IT !!

I think that's highly respectable.

In terms of AA losing this case, it's difficult to comment intelligently because the article didn't put all the facts out there. Maybe they can't release that due to confidentiality. I will say that, in general, requiring a sick note after XX days out seems reasonable to me. I know I couldn't be out more than a week without some sort of documentation.

I will say that, in general, requiring a sick note after XX days out seems reasonable to me. I know I couldn't be out more than a week without some sort of documentation.
You can't compare apples to oranges. Our job is very different. We could be scheduled to work 1 day this week and 4 next, yet if we call in well after that one day and find we are not able to work the following trip it counts as two occurences automatically placing you on attendance advisory. It is not supposed to, but we have many ignorant supervisors working for this company. It is an awful position (flight service supervisor) and no one really stays long enough to learn the job. It does not really matter if you have documentation unless you eventually go to court on it, the harassment begins regardless.

I think that's highly respectable.

In terms of AA losing this case, it's difficult to comment intelligently because the article didn't put all the facts out there. Maybe they can't release that due to confidentiality. I will say that, in general, requiring a sick note after XX days out seems reasonable to me. I know I couldn't be out more than a week without some sort of documentation.

One wonders if this is somehow connected to the rumor (I hate to spread gossip, but I can't think of anything else to do with it) that AMR got in serious trouble with the Feds for HIPPA (Health Information Personal Privacy Act) violations.

There is a new attendance policy in place for AA f/as and part of that is that if you call in sick during company-specified "critical" periods--Christmas/New Years, for instance--you must provide a statement from a Dr. that you were seen, or it counts as two occurrences. Interesting part...the note must only say that you were seen by the Dr. It must NOT contain any reason for your visit to the Dr., your diagnosis, or your treatment.

One wonders if this is somehow connected to the rumor (I hate to spread gossip, but I can't think of anything else to do with it) that AMR got in serious trouble with the Feds for HIPPA (Health Information Personal Privacy Act) violations.

There is a new attendance policy in place for AA f/as and part of that is that if you call in sick during company-specified "critical" periods--Christmas/New Years, for instance--you must provide a statement from a Dr. that you were seen, or it counts as two occurrences. Interesting part...the note must only say that you were seen by the Dr. It must NOT contain any reason for your visit to the Dr., your diagnosis, or your treatment.

I think AA escaped serious HIPPA infractions when APFA reiterated that any note provided strictly state date of visit on rx pad/letterhead. also..note was only to be shown to FSM, not copied, surrendered or placed in any file...

... snip

It must NOT contain any reason for your visit to the Dr., your diagnosis, or your treatment.

Interestingly enough, that the first thing our attendance Nazi wants to see - proof of having gone to the Dr. - the receipt from the Dr.'s office if one is available.

AA's so-called management doesn't care who's rights they step on. After all, anything is only illegal if one gets caught doing it. Right?

Talk about accounting theory at work ...

Hey Goose,..here's a thought.

Maybe the F/A could povide a "COMPANY PAID"....E O B(Explanation of Benefits) "receipt", from United Health Care(or whatever ..COMPANY PAID health provider the F/A has)

THEY-WILL-N E V E R-LEARN,.............NEVER !!!!!

Well, no. The Dr.'s note must be provided within two days of the f/a's return to work. The insurance company does not move that fast.

“American does not retaliate against employees and strictly adheres to the whistleblower laws," said Tami McLallen, a spokeswoman.

She must work for a different American Airlines than the rest of us. I was at the Dr. today about a sprained thumb. I have to provide medical documentation because I called in during a "critical" period or it counts as two occurrences. Of course, the safety issue that I could not make a fist with my right hand and therefore unable to operate the door handle in an emergency is of no matter.

It's about time someone called them out on their sick time harassment.

Too bad APFA quantified AA's recent harassment campaign by throwing in the medical pad note that couldn't be copied bit. We might have had some good cases that blasted them out of making up more stupid policies in the future had they not.

If there is a problem with sick usage by flight crews, IMHO, it's that we aren't using enough of it.

Spend any amount of time riding a crew bus and your almost sure to hear someone hacking or wheezing from a cold. Add that to the multitude of ailments with an aging crew population, and no kidding, AA will have a higher sick rate than SWA or JBLU with it's younger employees.

No one comment ever from AA regarding the age demographics. Just add this to the "pathetic" pile of descriptions regarding AA's Leadership.

Back