Spanair crash at MAD

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
"Some 140 people were killed today when a packed passenger jet caught fire and overshot the runway as it tried to take off from Madrid airport, official sources said.

The Spanair plane, with 173 passengers and crew aboard, crashed and broke apart as it tried to take off from Terminal 4 at the Barajas airport. It was heading for Las Palmas airport on the island of Gran Canaria."

timesonline (UK) story here

SKYNEWS says 45 dead.

BBC says: At least 45 people have been killed after a passenger plane swerved off the runway at Madrid's Barajas airport, Spanish officials say.

Local media report the death toll could be much higher. Dozens of people are injured.

A Spanish plane ( Spanair) with more than 170 people on board went off the runway Wednesday at Madrid's Barajas Airport for a flight to Las Palmas, killing at least 147 people, officials said. The crash during take off reportedly followed an explosion on board the airline jet, sending up a plume of smoke visible from miles away

Herby a picture of the aircraft in better times
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6019570

A Spanish plane ( Spanair) with more than 170 people on board went off the runway Wednesday at Madrid's Barajas Airport for a flight to Las Palmas, killing at least 147 people, officials said. The crash during take off reportedly followed an explosion on board the airline jet, sending up a plume of smoke visible from miles away

Herby a picture of the aircraft in better times
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6019570

Sure hope TSA wasn't climbing around on the airplane...seriously.

MD80 thrust reversers do not deploy by there selves. They are cable driven to a control valve. No electricity is involved except indication in cockpit.

I have no idea what really happened, but the 767 reverser system is apparently similiar to the MD80 (except it's pneumatically powered rather than hydraulicly). Yet Lauda Air had a reverser activate in flight - something that was supposed to be impossible with all the interlocks built into the system.

Or the rudder on the 737 - suposedly impossible to have an uncommanded hard-over yet it happened, causing the US 427 crash at PIT.

The only thing I know for sure is that Murphy's Law is still valid.

Jim

I have no idea what really happened, but the 767 reverser system is apparently similiar to the MD80 (except it's pneumatically powered rather than hydraulicly). Yet Lauda Air had a reverser activate in flight - something that was supposed to be impossible with all the interlocks built into the system.

Or the rudder on the 737 - suposedly impossible to have an uncommanded hard-over yet it happened, causing the US 427 crash at PIT.

The only thing I know for sure is that Murphy's Law is still valid.

Jim
BoeingBoy you have no idea what your talking about. The 767 is an entirely different system.

I read there were reports of a possible left engine fire/smoke.I inspected a few 217's for both turbine shaft and turbine wheel failure 'back in the day' at the engine shop in PIT.Flying turbine blades/debris could have cut the bucket control cable on the left engine allowing deployment only on the right side bucket.

Spanair Crash Update

Crash Video

Looks like the flaps were not extended on takeoff. My prayers to the victims and their families. :(

This takeoff disaster has such eerie echoes of the NW (ex-RC) MD-80 takeoff crash at DTW 21 years ago, in 1987. At least there were a few more survivors from this one--there was only one survivor (a 2-year-old girl) of the Northwest crash.

Back