Southwest Airlines Reports Record Fourth Quarter And Full Year Profit; 41st Consecutive Year Of Prof

Others may choose to run down WN, but you can not argue with success.  41 straight years of profits!  Are you kidding me?  In the airline business?

Way to go, guys!  Congratulations!

You know what just kills me?  Record profits, maint cost and operations reductions, fuel cost reductions, excellent outlook and booking for 1st Q 2014, yet the stock plunges 4% and more!!!   I was hoping for a boost in stock to reach 22.50 plus after todays announcement, guess I'll push that thought over to the side.
 Thx Kev and Jim for your kind words, can only hope it continues for another 41 years plus...

Thx to Southwest, and my part, we are able to put over 25-28% towards my retirement.  Carry on Southwest, carry on please...

swamt said:
You know what just kills me?  Record profits, maint cost and operations reductions, fuel cost reductions, excellent outlook and booking for 1st Q 2014, yet the stock plunges 4% and more!!!   I was hoping for a boost in stock to reach 22.50 plus after todays announcement, guess I'll push that thought over to the side.
 Thx Kev and Jim for your kind words, can only hope it continues for another 41 years plus...
day to day movements in stock prices shouldn't be given a whole lot of attention. Fuel prices change continually and Wall Street has fairly sophisticated models for considering fuel and other factors including the general economy into stock prices for airlines.

WN is a solid company, has been for decades, and has a bright future ahead of it because of its ability to recognize the changes in the industry and go after them to make money. And not be consumed by trying to be things that they can't do well.

Congrats to WN's employees and leaders.

Thx WT.  I know about all that, it just seems when reporting Q statements like we did would have helped the stock for that day.  It has seemed for the last 10 years every time we reported our Q profits the stock falls.  Then all the while there is negative news going all it decides to climb.  I also just read where we were just raised from 24 to 28 outlook and buy, buy, buy.  Hopefully that will kick start something for next week. 

I sense your frustration but WN is an investment grade airline because its stock isn't a flash in the pants stock for a day but because of the year after year ability of WN and its people to recognize and adapt to changing conditions in the airline industry and find ways for WN and its stakeholders to win.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=LUV&t=2y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

what has made WN a consistently profitable airline is not about to come to an end.

hope your retirement accounts benefit from WN's growth over the longhaul.

Back