Sleeping on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2008
An Air India flight soared past its Mumbai destination on June 4 as its pilots allegedly dozed off in the cockpit, The Times of India reported Thursday.

The napping pilots flew 359 miles past the airport and were still at cruising altitude when nervous air traffic controllers woke them up.

The flight, which was on autopilot flying toward Mumbai, had about 100 passengers on board.

"The plane took off from Dubai at 1:35 a.m. Indian Standard Time and then from Jaipur at 7 a.m. After operating an overnight flight, fatigue levels peak, and so the pilots dozed off after taking off from Jaipur," an unidentified source told The Times of India.

Air India officials vehemently denied the report, saying the plane lost radio contact with air traffic control for some time, and only flew 14 miles off course.

"We emphatically deny the report. No such incident took place. We've checked our records," Jitender Bhargava, Air India’s director for public relations, told The Times.

Some pilots and air traffic controllers argue Air India is trying to cover up for the pilots’ mistake.

Had they set up the FMS and auto pilot right they would have landed on target asleep or not (had all systems been functioning correctly).

Then that means they were relying on those systems which in turn meant aircraft maintenance was flying that bird!

You guys are really grasping at straws. There is a big difference between someone who happened to fall asleep and someone who use's there job to sleep.

You guys are really grasping at straws. There is a big difference between someone who happened to fall asleep and someone who use's there job to sleep.

You've got to be kidding me....So only mechanics "intend to fall asleep" but flight crews just "happen" to fall asleep.....

Let me tell you something FA mikey.....Corporate security and management can't walk into that cockpit during a flight and catch one guy sleeping and the other guy reading the wall street journal...

Try telling your BS to someone OUTSIDE the airline business.

So it was intentional that this crew fell alseep? I dont think so. No matter what you say or how you try to spin it. Sleeping on the job is wrong.

So it was intentional that this crew fell alseep? I dont think so. No matter what you say or how you try to spin it. Sleeping on the job is wrong.

You are so ignorant to the conditions in the airline industry! I work around and know numerous pilots who confess they read papers and sleep in the cockpit while flying commercial airliners. It is not unknown in the industry for pilots to take naps while the other officer watches the autopilot fly the plane. For you to say it was not intentional for the crew to fall asleep is ludicrous. Wake up!

So that excuses it. Its not wrong for the mechics to sleep on duty because you work around numerous pilots who confess to reading and sleeping on the job. I guess now its case law because you have said it is so. Isnt it funny though, only your fellow mechanics seem to believe its OK to sleep on the job?

So that excuses it. Its not wrong for the mechics to sleep on duty because you work around numerous pilots who confess to reading and sleeping on the job. I guess now its case law because you have said it is so. Isnt it funny though, only your fellow mechanics seem to believe its OK to sleep on the job?

How can it be wrong when AA management has approved sleeping on the job for the past 50 years?

This is not about sleeping on the job being against the rules...this is about local management being over ridden by corporate security when the guys get caught.

How can it be wrong when AA management has approved sleeping on the job for the past 50 years?

This is not about sleeping on the job being against the rules...this is about local management being over ridden by corporate security when the guys get caught.
I guess the page that says, its OK to sleep on the job is missing from my employee handbook.

You got to hand it to the ol' timers !!

Many years ago, the overnight cleaners in BOS(VERY senior shift bid) use to sleep a couple of hours after they finished their Last clean of the night.

THE AA(BOS) SUPERVISORS WERE AWARE OF THIS FOR YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They'd save a 767 for the last clean.

They'd LOCK the A/C doors (somehow) from the inside, DISABLE the raised cabin service truck (somehow), and place something HEAVY on the floor (near the front of F/C) so no one could access the cabin via the entry door that was located just behind the nose gear, used to access avionics !

(Usually a skin film showing on the a/c entertainment system)

How did that ol' song go ??...................."Those were the days my Friend/...................We thought they'd Never End.....................la-la-la-la..............la-la-la-la-la-la"

:up: :up: :up: :up:

PS,

The Cabin CREW CHIEF(HUGE SENIORITY)....Ran the Show for that crew.

NO..IF's and's or BUT's !!

Any direct orders from the Supervisor, whent to the CC, ...THEN from him...to the CREW !

I recall being delayed boarding out of MIA to DFW once because they had to go on board and wake up the overnight AMTs first. There were four of them camped out in first class. Of course, this was admittedly years ago and it isn't to say they did it, or do it, all the time but all one would have to do is let their mind wander on the issue and it probably wouldn't be far from the truth.

Everyone sleeps on the job if they can get away with it, and everyone is wrong for doing so. It is unfair for an employer to be expected to pay a nights pay for no work.

I'll let you in on a secret. Of course its no secret if I post it here on the internet. :eek:

Plug in ground power on the 777 and initiate the door lock test and leave it on. The doors stay locked until you end the test or someone pulls the ground power on you. If they pull the ground power that will be enough warning to wake up and yell at the idiot who interfered with your door lock test. You did not hear that from me, or did you? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back