PI sked at ORD in the 80's

ORD is where a PI 737-200 lost an engine, on takeoff, the engine fell off the wing.

I think DW was asking what an engine falling off had to do with deregulation and the 80's PI route structure...

While it was transitioning from a point to point to a more hub and spoke carrier in the 80's, PI still operated more than a few point to point flights when it merged with US.

Jim

EWR was a prime example of point-to-point flying done by PI in the 80's. Even well after the CLT/BWI/DAY/and SYR hubs established, PI served lots of other cities without having to go thru a hub. I'm sure I will miss a few, but from what I can recall here are some out of EWR. ORF.RIC,RDU,GSO,CAE,JAX,CVG,BOS,BDL,CHS,ROC. I'm sure I missed some, but either way that was plenty besides the Hub flying. All of the flights did very well, and a few other markets came about after the PI/US merger, such as BUF,IND,CMH,and CLE. Many of these markets for both PI & US were targeted by PE in the 80's, and we fought them off to defend our markets. Boy how things have changed since then... :huh:

It was call the Hopscotch fare point to point flights and picking up revenue at all stops
What a principle I wonder who’s business model does this now I bet they would be successful

I remember taking a PI flight from AVP-BOS in 1987 or 1988. I believe it stopped somewhere in upstate NY -- BGM comes to mind. It was Express.

Henson ran most of those routes prior to the merger in 1989. I know that PI came to ABE with mainline service to BWI sometime in late 1988. To the best of my knowlegde, they didn't serve AVP with mainline prior to the merger.

I remember taking a PI flight from AVP-BOS in 1987 or 1988. I believe it stopped somewhere in upstate NY -- BGM comes to mind. It was Express.

I also remember taking a PI commuter flight BGM-AVP-DCA on an F27 back in '86 too. There seemed to be several of those one-stop flights back in those days, especially on express.

Henson ran most of those routes prior to the merger in 1989. I know that PI came to ABE with mainline service to BWI sometime in late 1988. To the best of my knowlegde, they didn't serve AVP with mainline prior to the merger.

PI definitely did not have any mainline operations at AVP prior to the merger.

Back