New nonstop service to PRC- Prescott, AZ from PHX, LAS and IGM

az_wild727

Senior
Sep 13, 2005
PHX
It's all Air Midwest.

Congrats to US again! Instead of parents/students driving up to Prescott, AZ to visit/reach ERAU, they can now fly into PRC by connecting from LAS and PHX. Now the oddball here is the IGM-PRC route? What kind of traffic on this route?

Again, nice move on behalf of Air Midwest- they picked up Great Lakes airline routes.

New service beings Oct 1, 2007.

It is an EAS route that HP/Mesa ran for a long time, then it was given to Great Lakes and they screwed it up so bad, it went back to US.

Same routing as it has always been, though I doubt much traffic between Kingman and Prescott.

It's all Air Midwest.

Congrats to US again! Instead of parents/students driving up to Prescott, AZ to visit/reach ERAU, they can now fly into PRC by connecting from LAS and PHX. Now the oddball here is the IGM-PRC route? What kind of traffic on this route?

Again, nice move on behalf of Air Midwest- they picked up Great Lakes airline routes.

New service beings Oct 1, 2007.

It's for efficiency. Presumably the plane will fly LAS-IGM-PRC or PHX-IGM-PRC (and back, or continuing to PHX, something like that).

One plane serves both destinations rather than two planes each flying non-stop. It's something that airlines used to do all the time with mainline aircraft, but now they send two RJ's non-stop, clogging up the skies and lowering salaries.

It's for efficiency. Presumably the plane will fly LAS-IGM-PRC or PHX-IGM-PRC (and back, or continuing to PHX, something like that).

One plane serves both destinations rather than two planes each flying non-stop. It's something that airlines used to do all the time with mainline aircraft, but now they send two RJ's non-stop, clogging up the skies and lowering salaries.

Colgan still does it on IAD-BLF-BKW-IAD. There's not enough traffic for separate RT's, so make it a circle trip under the EAS. That's smart if you ask me.

I remember US mainline doing things like that way back when with DC-9s (back when they had the party tables in the mid 80s)... routes like PIT-ITH-ELM-PIT or PIT-ELM-BGM-PIT. Henson (Piedmont commuter) used to do things like DCA-BGM-AVL-DCA.

The route had begun to die because of Great Lakes. Not so much because they are any worse than Mesa, but because they flew into Terminal 2. Most folks at least in AZ want to fly out of Terminal 4 because of connections, so you'd have to get your luggage, get on a bus and then go through all that hassle at Terminal 4. I suspect this move will increase traffic initially, but once the Prescott folks get a feel of the "NEW" US Airways, I'm sure they'll want to go back to Terminal 2 and some good airlines such as UL, CO, AS and AC.

actually a lot of it HAS to do with Great Lakes... when passengers fly PRC - PHX - XXX they are buying 2 tickets, not one. The codeshare relationship with US/HP will allow PRC passengers to once again buy a cheaper, single ticket. The "add-on" is typically only $30 - $50 higher each way, versus Great Lakes fares ranging from $50 to $200 one way.

Same type of disaster happened with KFLL island flying CageyJames---not including wrong type A/C flying the trips---after international checks----1/2 mile walk to gates---wait on A/C to be towed to new gate and inspected----what a goat rope that was-----I think we get to thank the SPIRIT CEO for that mess.

I have been waiting for this for 2 years! I have been enduring (and ejoying) the PHX ramp ever since we lost the contract back in 05'. But now i can work back at home, no more commuting! And in case anyone was wondering the PRC side of the flight schedule is as fallows.
SUN-FRI
4765 IN from IGM at 0720 out to PHX at 0730.
4766 IN from PHX at 1040 OUT to IGM/LAS at 1055.
4767 IN from IGM/LAS at 1735 out to PHX at 1750.
4768 IN from PHX 2000 OUT to IGM at 2010
SAT
4765 IN from IGM at 0720 OUT to PHX at 0730
4769 IN from PHX at 1350 OUT to IGM at 1400
Sadly no LAS flight on SAT

I have been waiting for this for 2 years! I have been enduring (and ejoying) the PHX ramp ever since we lost the contract back in 05'. But now i can work back at home, no more commuting! And in case anyone was wondering the PRC side of the flight schedule is as fallows.
SUN-FRI
4765 IN from IGM at 0720 out to PHX at 0730.
4766 IN from PHX at 1040 OUT to IGM/LAS at 1055.
4767 IN from IGM/LAS at 1735 out to PHX at 1750.
4768 IN from PHX 2000 OUT to IGM at 2010
SAT
4765 IN from IGM at 0720 OUT to PHX at 0730
4769 IN from PHX at 1350 OUT to IGM at 1400
Sadly no LAS flight on SAT

Those are short turn around times.

actually, our shifts are 2hrs each. except on sundays i work 0600-1130 and 1600-2100. so its not that bad
The CWA passenger service agreement with the USAirways allows split shifts for class II stations that can cover a maximum of 14 hours in a 24 hour period beginning to end of there shifts with no unpaid meal period. A split shift duty period will be minimum to 2 hours.This should be two full time shift

john john,

I started out at a station that did the same thing. It was the BEST job of my life... like in the 6-1130A shift, I may work 2 flights with another co-worker and maybe check-in a total of 15 passengers.. and on the second split (4-9) i'd work an outbound then 1 inbound.. again, handling maybe 15 passengers at the most.

It was awesome -- got to sit around and watch TV, play games, study, etc.

Now at my last ZV station, I believe we were the busiest non-hub station in the system and we were lucky to get a full hour of downtime.... made me miss my split shifts and 3 flights!

So you won't find many people at Air Midwest complaining about the schedule....

Whoop-de-doo! Express is flying to Prescott!! :rolleyes:

With the enthusiasm on here you would have thought that we were announcing service to Prague, not podunk Prescott!! Jeez!

Regardless of the destination, it won't be long before we're screwing it up and shaming ourselves in front of our paying customers like everywhere else we fly.

Back