Flight Deck Photography?

polyonymous

Jul 19, 2004
los angeles, ca
so here's a question: I am a professional photographer, barely out of college but it's already going pretty well. you know the type, I always carry around loads of cameras and I'm the kind who makes the security folks whine with all my fast film. (I've learned the hard way not to trust the xray machines)

obviously, when passion and job go together, you think about it all the time and I tend to enjoy shooting when flying, too. now I've never really had any problems shooting in the cabin during flight but for reasons we all know, getting access to the flight deck (at least in the US) has become almost impossible. (I say almost because I did meet a nice captain once who did allow me access) so here's my question: do you have any infos as to what the policies are? is it a decision of the flight crew wheter I may go upfront and take a photo or is it a policy? will asking before the flight, introducing myself in advance, asking an airline official other than a flight crew make a difference? I'm willing to undergo pretty much anything I have to for a good image...

any input is welcome. I tend to fly a lot on american airlines these days, so if you know specifics about them, that might be of even more use.

oh yeah, thanks.

Back