First 242-Tonne MTOW A333 rolls out for Delta

except that Aeroflot was anything but cost efficient.

and I have been on some of their aircraft from JFK to SVO that had baggage compartments accessible to the public in the lower portion of the aircraft where larger baggage was stored by the passenger and where live animals weren't uncommon as well.

Both DL and the A333 are very different types of operations.

WorldTraveler said:
perhaps you are right..... but increasing the weight of the aircraft by almost 20K pounds with no increase in engine thrust is a recipe for decreased performance.

GE's site says the max thrust is just under 70K

http://www.geaviation.com/commercial/engines/cf6/

and the site you linked does not list the GE engine as an option for the -243, only the RR engine.
huh? Airbus code for rolls is 4 so it will be A330-X4X 
0 is the airbus code for GE so it will be A330-X0X. 

the highest MTOW for the 330 right now is 235t The 242t model isn't on there yet because the airplane hasn't been certified.

Also, I don't care if GE says it has 150K engines on the 330, if it isn't in the TCDS its false. They say just under 70K because its marketing fluff. 

WorldTraveler said:
given that the average American - let alone many other cultures - has more girth than the 17 inch that other carriers will have as the norm for their widebody fleet, DL doesn't have to appeal to fatties - just the average American. Even aside from whether people will fit in that amount of space or not, western culture has a certain amount of personal body space than an extra inch does wonders at addressing.if you want to call an entire country fat and refuse to provide the space that they want, then don't be surprised if they go elsewhere.
Yeah because when I book a flight online aircraft seat width is a filter to sort which flight I take.

Not.

And yet the information is available fairly easily

All it takes is one trip across the Pacific in a seat which most people understand is for intra Asia flights to pre filter the results to eliminate 17 inch seats

And in all my bookings online (Expedia, Travelocity, etc) I have never seen seat width as a filtering option. Care to enlighten me how I can do that?

Didn't say it needed to be a filter option.

Product knowledge goes beyond online travel sites

If product attributes could all be reflected online, every carrier would identical average fares

But they don't

Product and service differences matter

A carrier that is known for being more comfortable has an advantage

You and AA want to think they don't know.

Ask a few people what KE is known for and it is above average space.

When the average goes down those that are above average become obvious

Your confusing things as usual - business travelers vs the casual traveler - funny thing UA generates more international revenue than DL - the UA seat configurations is generating more revenue

Forgot to add WT

Remember thrust doesn't = range. It = what you can lift. 

If the runway is long enough you don't "need" the highest thrust motor to get max MTOW off the ground. That is why 68K engines will work fine for say SEA-PVG. Run ways on both ends are long enough that Delta shouldn't need the extra thrust to get the 7 or so tones of MTOW off the ground. 

having said that, their wasn't a single person who expected anything other than Trent 700s when Delta ordered the 333s. However, knowing some things that I know (and wont post publicly) i am not as shocked as i was. 

I didn't ever equate thrust to thrust to range.

I did equate it to performance because that is what it does.

on clean runways and normal weather, the PW 333s have enough power to do what they need to do.  but in higher temps, contaminated runways or other obstacles which are common, extra power makes a difference. 

and DL's decision to now operate the 330 with all 3 engine manufacturers shows that there are clearly other factors at play that make it worth DL's while not to have tried to standardize the engines.   

WorldTraveler said:
I didn't ever equate thrust to thrust to range.

I did equate it to performance because that is what it does.

on clean runways and normal weather, the PW 333s have enough power to do what they need to do.  but in higher temps, contaminated runways or other obstacles which are common, extra power makes a difference. 

and DL's decision to now operate the 330 with all 3 engine manufacturers shows that there are clearly other factors at play that make it worth DL's while not to have tried to standardize the engines.   

Actually it shows they are driving up costs as it's more expensive to have so many engine types for one fleet

I can assure you that DL didn't make a decision that they knew would drive up their costs... in fact as hard as it is for you to understand, DL made the decision for just the opposite reason.

but I'm sure you know DL's business better than they do

Right so how many duplicate spare parts need to be maintained for the 3 different engines

you tell us... but since engines stay on the wing for years at a time and for now, DL doesn't overhaul those engines anyway (for now), it is likely the excess inventory is a whole lot less than you think.

and what you and I have no idea regarding is what DL actually paid for those engines or the service behind them. 

given that GE and PW were both shut out for 100 onwing large engines plus spares for the new Airbus, it is clear that Rolls was willing to deal for the big order for new aircraft but GE had an advantage for a smaller order of engines for existing models. 

and further, you clearly haven't figured out that DL has used its fleet COMPEXITY to increase its maintenance capabilities which it SELLS.

If DL adds some of the complexity of its own fleet to its MRO capabilities, it very well might end up better off.

DL Tech Ops is the largest airline MRO in the Americas.     

not only can they do things that other airlines can't but they also know the cost of that complexity and how to make it work for DL's bottom line. 

Back