Buy 3, Get 1 Free

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways Announces Buy Three Online, Get a Free* Travel Award Offer
Thursday February 12, 2:58 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Feb. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways is offering a "Buy Three Online, Get One Free*" program which rewards customers with free* travel for purchasing tickets and flying on US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle between Feb. 13, 2004 and June 15, 2004.

Press Release

Jim

Seems like nothing more than ...dust in the wind....

To little..To late...Did ya see those PHL fares....

• Banned
OldGuyinPA,

Now let's see -

It's not targeted to a specific market or competitor, unlike AMR's deal in BOS & NY.

It's of fairly short duration.

The lowest fares don't qualify.

Applies only to tickets purchased through the web site.

"Free" tickets have lots of restrictions.

Conclusion #1: an attempt to boost web site sales.

or

Conclusion #2: an attempt to boost revenue for the short term.

Jim

• Banned
JS & etops1,

You mean we don't have a visionary CEO who is keeping us at the leading edge of the industry? I'm shocked!!!

Jim

.................Tickets must be purchased at usairways.com .....................

THAT'S THE CATCH!! Most business travelers have to use a corporate travel agency. No extra free tickets in my future for spending all my time flying around the country. No big deal I really need to stay home more.

Thank god for fine print. BBB and the boys made this fine print plain as day.

AKA_trvlr64 said:
.................Tickets must be purchased at usairways.com .....................

THAT'S THE CATCH!! Most business travelers have to use a corporate travel agency. No extra free tickets in my future for spending all my time flying around the country. No big deal I really need to stay home more.

Thank god for fine print. BBB and the boys made this fine print plain as day.
But it lowers US's distribution costs if you book at usairways.com.

It might lower your distribution costs but the real EYE OPENER is that US is not truely following how UA and AA implemented their promotions. US is forcing customers to only use the website to obtain that free ticket for flying. UA and AA are not.

US's base population is a business traveler. "Mom and Pop" once a while flyer doesn't help to keep US flying like I do.

Oh well.

• Banned
Under the "Big print giveth, small print taketh away" heading...

Buyer beware: “Three-then-freeâ€￾ airfares
Heavy on the fine print, light on savings
Frank Polich / REUTERS
A traveler walks by as passengers wait to check in at the United Airlines terminal at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago

By Adrien Glover
Updated: 6:21 p.m. ET Feb. 18, 2004

At Budget Travel you, the traveling consumer, come first, which is why we’re peeking under the hood of the rash of “three-then-freeâ€￾ airfare deals that cropped up last week. Are they too good to be true? Well, that depends on the fine print. Let’s take a look.

Article

Jim

From MSNBC:

But wait—could it be that easy? Sadly, the answer is no. The airline’s lowest fares are excluded entirely from this promotion...

This is false!

... and to spell it out, no economy-class ticket including a Saturday night stay is eligible.

MSNBC is assuming that the lowest fare in every single market that UA serves requires a Saturday night stay. While that is true in most markets, MSNBC, typical of NBC, makes assumptions and jumps to conclusions by whining "the airline's lowest fares are excluded entirely".

Maybe these morons should read the fine print which they are complaining about, which I will repeat here with emphasis added:

Qualifying Booking Classes: Qualifying travel may be booked in any booking class in United First, United Business or United Economy Class. The fare purchased must be a valid, published fare. This promotion is not valid on government fares.

AKA Trvlr64,

Couldn't the corporate travel departments get a little more savvy and start using the website?

I'm don't know how the corporate travel agents work, but would that be possible? Seems like it might make good sense and save some dollars for the travel budget.

Dea

Back