And people question Islam?

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
Article

KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."

I guess its ok.......

All you lefties can come out and defend the religion of peace and tolerance now.

"Imprisoning this lady does not satisfy the thirst of Muslims in Sudan. But we welcome imprisonment and expulsion," the cleric, Abdul- Jalil Nazeer al-Karouri, a well-known hard-liner, told worshippers.

Small ray of hope

"One of the good things is the U.K. Muslims who've condemned the charge as completely out of proportion," said Paul Wishart, 37, a student in London.

America was able to out grow some of their racisim and bigotry. What makes you think that other nations are not capable of doing ther same. Perhaps some nations/people take longer than others.

I guess its ok.......

All you lefties can come out and defend the religion of peace and tolerance now.
Mainstream Muslims are just as appalled by this arrest and prosecution as all civilized people are:

Associated Press
Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, accused the Sudanese authorities of "gross overreaction."

"This case should have required only simple common sense to resolve. It is unfortunate that the Sudanese authorities were found wanting in this most basic of qualities," he said.

The Muslim Public Affairs Committee, a political advocacy group, said the prosecution was "abominable and defies common sense."

The Federation of Student Islamic Societies, which represents 90,000 Muslim students in Britain and Ireland, called on Sudan's government to free Gibbons, saying she had not meant to cause offense.

"We are deeply concerned that the verdict to jail a schoolteacher due to what's likely to be an innocent mistake is gravely disproportionate," said the group's president, Ali Alhadithi.

The Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim youth organization, said Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir should pardon the teacher.

"The Ramadhan Foundation is disappointed and horrified by the conviction of Gillian Gibbons in Sudan," said spokesman Mohammed Shafiq.

America was able to out grow some of their racisim and bigotry. What makes you think that other nations are not capable of doing ther same. Perhaps some nations/people take longer than others.

Ignorance and subjugation probably have a play in this drama. How long are we willing to wait and at what price?

B) UT

What gives us the right to intervene in a countries sovereign affairs?
When it affects us or the likely outcome would affect us.
Or maybe you think we should have stayed out of WW1 & WW2?
Tell me, if you see a fire in your neighbor’s garage, do you call them and let them know there may be a problem? Or do you wait until your house is burning?

Didn't Hitler invade?

In my opinion, the comparison from WWII that is used on a regular basis is tired and worn out. It is not applicable.

I would suggest that the rule of law in the US is a better example. For instance "probable Cause". Just because I walk out of a bar does not mean I am drunk and the police cannot arrst me or even stop me from getting in my car. If I get in my car and start to weave and drive erratically, then I can be stopped due to the fact that they have "probable cause".

Shall we arrest anyone who purchases a good because "likely outcome" could be dangerous? I do not think that is a slippery slope that I wish to proceed down.

If a action by another nation does something that has a direct affect on us then we can pursue the question of what action we can take. And even then, the actions are limited. We have no enforcement rights over a sovereign nation. You can ask nicely but that does not always work. Beating does not always work either as the ourt of public opinion does not always stay with you as the aftermath of 9/11 shows very clearly.

Also, keep in mind the saying "the toe you step on while you go up the ladder will be attached to the asses you are kissing on the way back down".

I may not be entirely sure what course of action should be taken at what time, but I know I disagree with your assessment.

One more thing.

If another nation perceives our actions as a threat, are they permitted to take preemptive actions? For instance if the US were to place nuclear weapons near a nation that we are hostile with, would they be justified to take preemptive or defensive action think Turkey in the 60’s. I am sure there may be a current situation or two if you want something more relevant to the world today.

In so far as the fire in the garage. I would presume that my neighbor would want my help. If another nation requests our assistance that is one thing. To take unilateral actions and another matter entirely.

Back