American Airlines is buying a sixth Boeing 777-300ER

Dunno, I think AA is still hurting a bit from losing the cargo lift on the A300's, and the 762s need a replacement. My guess is the 773's immediately cascade down some 763 and 757 capacity to allow retiring the 762s as the 773s arrive.

Dunno, I think AA is still hurting a bit from losing the cargo lift on the A300's, and the 762s need a replacement. My guess is the 773's immediately cascade down some 763 and 757 capacity to allow retiring the 762s as the 773s arrive.

You know, that's the most reasonable and sensible explanation I've seen thus far on what appears to be a somewhat bizzare purchase by AA. 77Ws have almost the same capacity as a 744 (even more cargo capacity by volumne), and very large widebodies have not, in the past, been a part of AA's plan.

But now that AA has ATI with BA/IB and, perhaps more importantly, with JAL, it doesn't seem as odd that AA is buying some 77Ws. After all, both BA and JAL have retired (or plan to retire) their 744s and replace at least some of them with 77Ws. Well, if AA buys a few dozen 77Ws, that could lead to very common-looking cabin configurations between AA, BA and JL. Verrrry interesting. The 77Ws have more capacity than the long-anticipated 789s; the 789s will probably be replacements for 767s and 77Es.

And although everyone will probably disagree, I can see the day when all 767s are retired and the 789s fly the JFK-LAX transcons and fly very long flights overseas. If there are enough long-range destinations from both JFK and LAX, the fleet utilization could be improved dramatically. Widebody fleet consisting of 77Ws, 77Es and 789s, all with lie-flats in F (or maybe not) and lie-flats in J.

This is dated news already talked about on a different thread on here. See AA orders yet another777.

This is actually not too dated -- Terry's column as linked was from last week, and the other thread hasn't had any productive discussion on the aircraft after turning into another 'nobody wants to work for AA' discussion....

This is exactly why the Union needs to modify the "profit sharing" plan to match the management formula.

Under current proposal, as they make these capiltal investments, there is no profit to share. Under the management bonus formula, profits do not matter as far as bonus awards are concerned.

I am all for buying new aircraft and keeping things up to date, I just want a comparable bonus award plan that pays regardless of profit/loss margins.

Well, we were talking about it 3 weeks ago and the thread turned into another argument fest. None the less, we were talking about it 3weeks ago and then stopped, so yes, it is dated.

I am all for buying new aircraft and keeping things up to date, I just want a comparable bonus award plan that pays regardless of profit/loss margins.

Agreed. As I've posted before, y'all need some form of "me too" variable pay plan that pays when management gets paid.

Only problem is, management would not agree to industry-leading hourly pay AND variable pay. They would probably insist on industry-lagging hourly pay plus variable pay. They would claim that their guaranteed base salary is far below comparable Fortune 500 top exec pay and that's why their variable pay is so important.

Back